Please enter your username or the email address associated with the account so we can help you reset your password.
One of the earliest lessons in marketing and sales is that you should know your customer. What does the customer profile look like? How do customers behave and what triggers them to ultimately buy one of your products or services? This knowledge helps to optimize your marketing message, your products and services – and your overall business strategy.
In a series of interviews with Genesys, digital analyst and futurist Brian Solis of The Altimeter Group introduced the term Digital Anthropology and explained how customer journey mapping can help organizations improve the customer experience over digital channels. See the video below:
Managing Customer Journeys
In the customer experience and contact center domain, understanding how your customers behave across all touch points and what journeys they’re on at all times can result in significant benefits. This includes increasing customer loyalty, achieving better operational efficiency and reducing costs.
So, what can you do?
Let’s take a look at three steps that can get you started on the path to improving and connecting the end-to-end customer journey:
1. Understand what the customer journey is today
Knowing the ‘informal journeys’ that your customers take today is the first step. According to Brian Solis, only 12% of customers he has worked with actuallyexperience the customer journey as the customer themselves. The other 88% work based of their own assumptions.
Identify current customer journey bottlenecks in the areas of people, processes and technologies. Ask yourself the following questions: What type of customers contact us and why? What is the purpose of their request? Where are they held up in our business processes and why?
2. Define what the customer journey should be
This steps requires you to combine findings of the first step and determine how you can make the customer journey more efficient, effective and less ‘effort-intense’ for your customers. Think about how new channels and technology can help you innovate and gain a competitive advantage.
You can learn more on why designing and managing the customer journey is important to your organization here.
3. Build a journey transformation plan.
By the time you get to this step you should have a good grasp of what your current customer experience is like and what you want it to be. Now, success is all about bridging the gap between the two.
Your transformation plan should adress the three classic areas of people, processes and technologies. Do I need to train my people new skills? Is the business process as simple as it can be from the customer’s point of view? Do I have the right customer experience platform, one that can manage all touch points across all business functions and integrate with my CRM, workflow and BPM solutions?
If you’d like to learn more on how to put your company on the path to digital CX transformation, get the thought leadership study from The Altimeter Group and Genesys. Authored by Brian Solis, the study explores the current and future state of customer experience (CX) and the digital customer. You can also learn more about customer journey mapping and how it impacts your business.
View Original Article